Sleep attack

Today I was startled awake by the sound of Clayton stirring in the wee hours of the morning. Unfortunately, this is a fairly normal occurrence for us. Around 5:45 a.m. every morning, we tend to take turns tossing and turning, drifting in and out consciousness because our bodies know it's almost time to wake up. But there was something different about Clayton's rustling this time. 

Facing his direction in bed, I opened my eyes just in time to see a large, shadowy figure hovering over me. Well, it wasn't hovering over me so much as it was free-falling towards me, getting closer and closer to my face.

In his sleepy stupor, my husband apparently forgot he shared a bed with someone because he was only a few seconds away from flopping down on top of me and totally smothering me with his body.

"CLAYTON!" I screeched in a raspy, panicked voice that was quickly losing all traces of the previous night's sleep. "STOP ITTTTTTTT!" I thrust my arms out to catch him.

Still half-asleep, Clayton paused in mid-drop, then simply rolled over and laid back down next to me. He fell back asleep, totally oblivious to the fact that he just about squished his wife.

Needless to say, I laid awake until my alarm went off about 20 minutes later, willing my heart rate to return back to normal.

He has no memory of this.

What a fun way to start the morning!

A few updates:

1.) Things have been absolutely NUTS at work. I mistakenly thought summer was going to be a quiet time in the Human Resources office, but I was so wrong! My co-workers and I have been rushing around like madmen (and madwomen) to get various summer projects completed while simultaneously trying to contain the tidal wave of new hire paperwork that keeps rushing in. Over the past 6 or so months, a large pile of "to be filed" papers accumulated on one of our filing cabinets and since I didn't want that mountain of mess to become my replacement's problem, I got to work sorting through the stack (because I am such a nice girl.).

In between my other duties, I filed no less than 500 papers in the last one and a half work days. Making that paper pile disappear was my main mission and this afternoon I finally put away the very last one. Sauntering back to my desk, I was all like:

2.) Earlier this week, I found out that due to the wide-spread chaos of August, I won't be moving into my position as Academic Adviser until September 3rd. Neither my current department nor the department I'm moving into think it would be fair to try and train me or the person who is replacing me in HR during the busiest time of the year. I totally understand where they're coming from (and am thankful they want what's best for us), but I'm a little bummed because I'm ready and raring for this new chapter in my career!

But my soon-to-be supervisor totally made it up to me by showing my new space this morning, and guess what? This girl has her own OFFICE. Not a cubicle, not a desk in a large room with tons of other desks, but an OFFICE. I have my own door and everything! (It technically has 2 doors which makes me twice as fancy). I feel so cool, I don't even know what to do with myself.

3.) This summer Joey has had more baths that he's ever had in his entire life. Our stinky little beagle seems to be a filth magnet, and last night he was rushed upstairs for an emergency shower when his evening frolic in the grass ended with him rolling on a dead bird.

Dogs like roll on dead things for various reasons. They may want to mask their own odor in order to remain clandestine and inconspicuous while they hunt (just like their wolf relatives) or they might do it simply because they want to send the message to everyone around them, "Hey! Smell this awesome dead thing I just discovered!"

Message received, Joey. Message received.

He seemed really proud of himself.

Cutest beagle in the tub!

Tomorrow's Friday! Weeeeee!


  1. I'm glad that you caught Clayton before he clobbered you! It must run in the family as I'm sure you have heard about his uncle's sleep attack in Hawaii. Haha!


Post a Comment