Marital annoyances

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Comfort food: the only thing better than retail therapy.

Please forgive the shoddy lightning. Sweet Grass' dinner ambiance, though lovely, doesn't make for the brightest and best photographs.

I'll admit itI totally ate my work stress last night. And you know what? It was delicious. No regrets.

I'm a creature of habit, so I had an intense internal debate on whether or not I should order something different from their menu. I seriously considered ordering their buffalo chicken sandwich, but then I remembered how much I love cheese and carbs and ultimately stuck with my one true lovepimento mac n' cheese.

Clayton order The Hog Heaven (pork tenderloin) and by the time our entrées arrived, it looked less like casual dining and more like The Last Supper.

And of course we ordered fried green tomatoes.

Of course.

I only made it through about half of my boat of mac n' cheese before I had to throw in the towel. I hate being a quitter, but it was either take home a doggy bag or explode.

One of my favorite things about our town is the expansive list of eateries, and Sweet Grass is definitely on my Top 10 list.

And my goodness! The sunset last night was amazingly gorgeous. So gorgeous, I acted like a total tourist and snapped a few pictures on my way out of the office (I had to work late. There are few things in life more depressing than going to work when it's still dark and then leaving when it's dark again, too.).

^^This picture had absolutely zero editing or silly Instagram filters placed over it. The sky really was THAT pink.

So, I have a small confession to make:

I'm annoying.

Like, REALLY annoying.

And I do it on purpose, so that just makes me an annoying jerk.

I think I'm a lovely person in the proper setting, but when it comes to bothering my husband and pushing his buttons, it's like my most beloved hobby.

Clayton has the entire week off of work to heal from his nose surgery and even though he's doing wonderfully, he still needs plenty of undisturbed rest. Yesterday was particularly trying for him both emotionally and physically as he left the house for several hours to attend his great uncle's funeral. (His Uncle Mike was the chief of police for many years and had the most breathtaking send-off with the city's police offers saluting the hearse as it drove by. The funeral procession even drove beneath a giant American flag that was held up by two large fire truck ladders.) So we were both in agreement that he needed to spend the majority of today sleeping and recuperating.

Well, as such things go, I needed to talk to him soon as I got to the office this morning because I didn't have the class number of the course he's taking this spring and it's required in order to get his tuition reimbursed.

He emailed me the information I needed, and then he got super testy when I asked him to also provide me with his student identification number (which I could have looked up myself, but like I said, I'm annoying). He messaged me the proper number and said, and I quote, "Now leave me alone, butthole. I'm sleeping."

"Oh," I responded. "Does your cell phone keep making that obnoxiously loud beeping noise every time someone sends you an email?"

"YES." was all he typed back.

In my defense, Clayton set himself up. He not only walked right into it, he unlocked the door and opened it himself. It's his own fault.

They're called consequences, dear.

So here's what happened next:

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:48 AM
To: 'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

I love you.

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:48 AM
To: 'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

I hope you have a great day.

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:49 AM
To: 'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

Do you still love me like you did when we were teenagers?

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:49 AM
To: 'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

What do you love about me specifically?

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:50 AM
To: 'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

What are your dreams? Tell me your dreams …

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:50 AM
To:
'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

Do you think Joey has dreams? What do you think he dreams about?

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:51 AM
To:
'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

A train track is 300 miles long. On one end of the track, Train A leaves the station at 4 p.m. On the opposite end of the track, Train B leaves at 6 p.m.. If Train A travels 45 mph and Train B travels 60 mph, when will they meet?

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:51 AM
To:
'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

I think it’s a travesty that Leonardo DiCaprio wasn’t nominated for an Oscar for his work in Titanic.

From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:51 AM
To:
'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

Have you ever thought about the universe? I mean like, REALLY thought about it? Like, it goes on forever … I can’t even wrap my brain around that! FOREVER. It never stops. But how do we know it doesn’t stop? I mean, how does someone even make the determination? Did we send some sort of satellite "ping" out into space and determined the universe was boundless because the ping never bounced back?

From: 'Clayton Charles'
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:52 AM
To:
Courtney Alexis
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

Going through all of these emails to make sure they don't buzz at me for missing one has assured me that if I were to take them to a judge, I could probably be successful in my pursuit of a restraining order.  Just sayin.
From: Courtney Alexis
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:52 AM
To:
'Clayton Charles'
Subject: RE: RE: RE:

I wish I knew how to quit you.