Morning glory

Do you ever wonder what your favorite bloggers look like first thing in the morning?

The answer is "crap". They look like complete crap.

(Far be it from me to assume that I'm one of your favorite bloggers. I just figure that if you regularly read my blog, you must not totally hate me. Unless of course you do hate me and only read my blog to find material to use to mercilessly mock me behind my back. If that's the case, then well played. And congratulations, you're an a-hole.)

Remember my perpetual whining about never being able to wake up early in the morning? I had all but given up on the idea of getting my workout in before work in order to leave my evenings free to hang with the hubs or tinker in the kitchen. I've set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. countless times, only to turn it off and talk myself out of getting up.

But things are starting to reach their limit and I can feel myself rapidly approaching my wit's end. There is simply too much to do after work and not enough hours in the day to get it all done. I'm fed up with serving dinner close to 9:00 p.m. every night and sick of not having enough time to pursue my other hobbies and interests. Taking an hour to an hour and half every night to get in a training run is eating up too much of my free time, and it's not fair to my husband (or me).

Yesterday I had a hair appointment immediately after work. Anytime I get my hair done, I plan on being at the salon at least two hours to account for the hair foils, letting the color set in, washing my hair, cutting it and then styling it. And I knew that I was scheduled to do speed work that night, too. I've already rearranged my running schedule this week to accommodate spending a night in Greenwood and not having to do diddly squat on my birthday (3 days!), so I had to fit it all in somehow.

I got home from my hair appoint close to 7:30 (yikes!) and ran straight upstairs to the treadmill. I pounded out 4 miles, showered and came back downstairs to scarf down pizza that Clay generously made (yum!). I was settled on the couch and ready to relax around 9:15 p.m.. Clay had to study and we spent a grand total of 10 minutes together.

Knowing something had to change before I snapped, I asked Jamie to text me when she left for the gym the next morning. She meets her personal trainer at 6:30 a.m. several times a week and I knew there was no way I'd keep sleeping through my alarm if I had someone to hold me accountable. She was waking up at the buttcrack of dawn to get her business out of the way early and if she can do it, so can I!

As promised, Jamie sent me the sweetest "Good morning!" text at 5:40 a.m. and I had zero problems getting out bed. I knew she and countless others around town were awake and getting their days started, so I didn't feel totally alone.

When I looked at myself in the mirror through the foggy haze of my slept-in contact lenses I thought, "Why not? I'll snap a picture of what I look like first thing in the morning. No one looks like a beauty queen when they roll out of bed. It'll be a candid, honest look at my life and no one will judge me for it."

So I snapped a picture with my phone, blinked a few times to clear my vision and then squinted down at the photo. "Oh my gosh," I gasped out loud, my fetid morning breath permeating our tiny bathroom in a hot, angry cloud. "Everyone SHOULD judge me for this."

Sleeping in my contact lenses left my eyes blood shot and dull (Don't worry, my brand of lenses is approved for up to 7 full days of continuous wear, but it clearly isn't worth the 60 seconds it saves me getting ready in the morning.). My freshly colored hair from the evening before was matted into Moroccan oil-infused mess on top of my head. My skin looked about as fresh and radiant as a corpse. Sheet lines ran in wild patterns down my face. And call me crazy, but did my nose look slightly pushed in?

I tried to edit the photo and add different image filters to soften the harshness that is me at 5:45 a.m. on a Thursday morning, but not even a black and white filter can make extreme exhaustion look presentable. I wasn't even going for "pretty", just presentable.


After getting dressed, I took a quick inventory of the weather to determine if I was going to run outside or on the treadmill. I opened the front door and peered out into complete blackness, making out nothing but a few chimneys spouting swirly puffs of smoke. There was frost on the grass.

The treadmill it is!

My 3 mile workout flew by as I watched the morning news and thought about the day ahead (and now I'm having an internal debate about which newscast to watch. There are no fewer than a million on at one time). My run seemed far less laborious and not at all like something "to just get through". It was surprisingly pleasant and I could feel my sleepy limbs perking up with each and every step. My run felt energizing, not draining (probably because I knew going to sleep afterwards would not be an option).

After my run, I lifted free weights and was completely showered and halfway through my make-up routine by the time Clayton stumbled out of our bedroom. While he finished his own shower (I rushed mine to make sure he had plenty of hot water), I did something I haven't done for him on a weekday morning since I worked from home 2 years agoI made him breakfast. Nothing fancy. Just an egg sandwich with thick slices of cheese. But I made his egg just the way he likes it, slightly runny, and he was quite pleased to take a break from his perfunctory morning bowl of cereal. I made one for me as well, and it sure beat the pants off of the naked English muffin I usually have to toss into my purse on my way out the door.

Our morning was so relaxed that, get this, I even had time to round brush my hair. Normally I just slap some mousse in my mane, blast it with a blow dryer, and spritz down my flyaways before rushing out of the house, knowing full well it's only a matter of time before I pull it up in a clip. This morning I actually had time to use a round brush as I dried my hair, leaving it soft, silky and um, styled.

I even had time to stop for coffee on my way to work. Win!

And I haven't yawned ONCE at work today. DOUBLE WIN!

Now I have my workout out of the way and have nothing to do this evening but play softball and bake cookies (I've been waiting to bake pumpkin cookies for almost a month now). It feels ridiculously calming to have already gotten my "me time" in first thing this morning, so now I feel better prepared to take care of my husband and our house. Am I going to get up early again tomorrow to work out and actually put some time and effort into my look for the day? Who knows. I'd like to say yes, but I can't make any promises.

I'm sure I'll be an equally groggy mess tomorrow morning when I receive Jamie's wake-up text. Hopefully the lingering pleasantness of this morning will be the perfect motivation to get up and get moving before the sun again.

What time did you wake up today?


  1. I need a magical wake up call!

    I haven't been to the gym in two weeks because of how busy I am. And I know in my head that if I got up and worked out in the morning, I would probably push through my days much better but my's just so warm and cozy. And I love sleep.

    Maybe I need a magical wake up call. I'd love to be able to get up and cook my hubby breakfast and not rush through the morning before I go to work.

  2. I am so proud of you for waking up early! I know it's something you've been working on. I always feel so much better getting my workout done early- it really makes a difference in your day! And I woke up at 6... bleh! At least my workout is done ;)

  3. Would you come to my house and cook me breakfast????

  4. I get up every weekday morning at 530 to get ready then get the kids ready!!! Lol. Welcome to my world.

  5. Darn it...somehow I thought you were going to write about this today:

    1. HOW DID I MISS THAT!? As if I need ANOTHER reason to never go swimming in the ocean again. I'm afraid of seaweed brushing against my leg, I'd probably drown if a GIANT SQUID EYE bumped into me.

  6. With the exception of this week, because of my cold and car accident, I get up at 4:45 to walk/run with my neighbor. We are usually finishing up about the time you got your wake-up text. Getting up that early is really hard, and it really helps to have someone else getting up the early to keep you accountable. BUT, getting the workout done before the day starts gives me more energy and helps me eat better throughout the day. It's hard, and I certainly want to stay in bed when the alarm goes off, but it gets easier. Plus, then my evenings are free to play with Aiden, and Jay!
    Oh, and getting up that early never results in me making Jay breakfast, so feel free not to share that tidbit of information with him at our next family gathering! :)

    1. 4:45!??? What time do you go to bed! My goodness, I admire that!

      And yes, I totally reaped the benefits of having a "free night" last night. Even though I was busy baking, it was so relaxed! I loved it!

      And you can be sure at Christmas I'll be like, "So Jay, does Kim know how you take your eggs?"

      Ha ha. jk ;)


Post a Comment