Welcome Fall! A weekend recap

Happy Monday! (I feel like if I say that with enough enthusiasm, I might actually start to believe that Monday doesn’t totally suck. … It’s not working.)

How was your weekend? I had a busy, yet fun weekend hanging out with both friends and family. The air was chilly, but it was sunny and beautiful—a perfect way to welcome the first official weekend of fall. As we know from last week’s fall fashion post, I’m a little head-over-heels for this season. The fact that my birthday happens to be in October is just a delightful little bonus (Remember, only 20 more shopping days!).

Friday afternoon my boss graciously let me leave work early so I could pick up my mom from the Indianapolis airport (and he let me do it without taking any vacation hours. Isn’t he awesome?). My mom spent an entire week in Orlando and Daytona Beach, Florida with a good friend and asked her beautiful daughters (one of them being me) to transport them back and forth from their flights. 

I left extra early so I’d be sure to have enough time to pick up Monte, her yellow lab, from doggie daycare and I was really excited to do so because as weird as it sounds, picking up our dogs from the vet is one of my favorite things to do. There’s just something so precious about the look in their eyes and the way their tails wag when they recognize a familiar face coming to rescue them. Picking up Joey from his teeth cleaning was probably one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen in my entire life, and Monte was no exception.

He got a good report from the vet technicians, and I had to laugh when I could hear his massive tail bashing against the walls as he made his way to the front of the office. Monte is the size of a small horse. 

I loaded him safely into the back of my mom’s SUV and he was so happy to be going home, he rested his head on my arm for most of the drive back to her house. I had to snap a few pictures and of course, this was the day I chose to wear my dog print sweatshirt. (Don't worry, I took the photos while we were stopped at traffic lights. Texting and driving is dangerous! This message brought to you by Courtney's Coalition for Driving Without Dying or Causing Bodily Harm.)

A severe thunderstorm grounded most of the flights leaving the Indianapolis airport that night, but luckily my mom’s flight snuck in right before the heavy rain and intense lightning hit. I hadn’t seen my mom in a few weeks and I got giddy when I spotted her in all of her beautifully bronzed, Florida glory.

We spent the majority of Friday night curled up on her bed talking about her vacation and just mother/daughter things in general, and it was one of the nicest talks we’ve had in a long time. I think God more than made up for the strained relationship with my dad by giving me such a sensitive, loving mother. I hugged her goodbye around midnight and said,“I’m so glad you’re my mom.” I’ve never meant it more. 

I drove back to Clayton late that night and stumbled through the door close to one o’clock. We went to bed very soon after my arrival because we had to be up and to the trail by 8:00 a.m. to help out with Walk for Regina, the first of many fundraising events for a local woman suffering from cystic fibrosis. I am volunteering as a public relations coordinator and doing my best to generate media attention for the events so that we can earn the $30,000 needed for her life-saving double-lung transplant. I’ve been looking to donate my time to a good cause for a while now, and I feel so blessed to be volunteering with such a great group of people that truly love and care for Regina. Clay offered to help out at the event, too, and the two of us passed out water and granola bars to the walkers after the race. (Of course I asked to be put in charge of the snacks. They asked me, “Do you want to help register walkers?”and I was like, “No, I’m not good at math or handling money. Just put my by the food table. I’m good at food.”).

Admittedly, Clay and I went home immediately after we finished cleaning up the event and crawled back into bed. We had every intention of dozing for an hour, but our alarms never went off. And when I say “our alarms never went off” I mean we didn’t set them. Because we’re lazy.

We woke up at 2 p.m. and I had major déjà vu from my college days. I didn’t even think I was capable of sleeping in that late, but I guess old habits really do die hard.

The rest of our Saturday was pretty uneventful. I had a 4 mile pace run that almost killed me because it’s the first pace run I’ve done away from the treadmill in months, and I stupidly thought the only thing that could make a pace run outside even more fun was to run it on hills. The run was fantastic and I blew my time expectations away, but I set myself up for total and complete failure on Sunday’s 9-mile endurance run.

Clayton spent Saturday night out with his friends, so I spent my own night recovering from my run on the couch with a few DVR’d Lifetime movies. Lifetime movies are melodramatic and cliché, but I totally found myself getting sucked in and crying like a baby during a movie about sexting and bullying … two subjects I know absolutely nothing about (I tried sexting Clayton once from work just to see what all the fuss is about, but after a couple of awkward exchanges we just ended up talking about what we wanted for dinner.) But I do know a lot about non-sexual texting and drinking, and I was doing both of those things while I watched the movie.

Sunday morning I woke up far earlier than is necessary on the weekend and headed out for my long run so I could be back in plenty of time to clean up and prepare cupcakes for the football potluck we planned for our friends. As I said earlier, this 9-mile run was a disaster and I’m honestly surprised I made it through the entire thing.

Actually, that’s a lie. I only made it 8.5 miles before I called it quits, but I felt so weird about not running an even amount of miles that I ran the last .5 around my neighborhood when I got home. OCD? Me? Never.

My pace was much slower than I would have liked and again, I stupidly thought hills would be a good idea. Back-to-back hilly runs does not do a body good. In fact, it makes a body feel like it’s going to shut down or explode. And naturally, I felt panic rising in my chest as I tried to come to grips with the fact that I was going to have a bad run (having a bad run is a lingering fear that always sneaks into my consciousness before any long distance). I’ve been having abnormally AWESOME runs these past few weeks, so I suppose I was well overdue for a crummy one. It sucked, but I didn’t let myself shed any tears. I shed some snot, yes, but I'm blaming that on the cold temperatures. 


Our usual crew of friends (and sibling in-laws) came over to our house to watch the Colts game, but us girls found ourselves sitting around the kitchen table and talking the entire game. Together we polished off a lot of the chips and I’m pretty sure I drank almost an entire 2 liter bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper by myself. (And oh how my bladder HATED me!)

Before the game started, Molly and Ireli hung out in the kitchen with me as I tried, and failed, to make icing for the chocolate cupcakes. I planned on making caramel frosting, but no matter what I did with Mixie, I just couldn’t get the sugar mixture to whip properly. It remained a gooey, liquidy mess and I think it was because I was so distracted by talking that I let the brown sugar dissolve TOO MUCH in the sauce pan. (Further proof that I can’t do two things at once. See also: walking and breathing.) It took me three tries, but I finally managed to make usable icing after I reverted back to my tried and true favorite—vanilla cream icing.

We rounded out our Sunday evening with the Emmy’s and foot rubs (Clayton and I, not us and all of our friends. They went home after the game. Group foot rubs just sound strange and unpleasant). As much as I like being busy, it’s the moments relaxing with Clayton and doing absolutely nothing at all that makes me feel the most content. I’m starting to feel like he and I overdue for a vacation because relaxing with him for a few days sounds incredible.

How was your weekend? Was it relaxing or busy?


  1. Replies
    1. I know! He was such a sweet boy in the car. My favorite is the last one when he got all up in my camera.


Post a Comment