a diamond-encrusted weekend recap

Why, hello there! How was your weekend? Mine was lovely and went by way, way too fast! I can't believe it's Monday already. Sheesh! I was not a happy camper when my alarm bellowed at me this morning. So I decided to give myself a mini goal for the week and use that as inspiration to keep me focused and motivated until Friday.

This week's goal: Make it to Friday without killing anyone.

So far, so good.

What I did:
  • I honestly had to sit here and scratch my head for a minute because I couldn't for the life of me remember what I did on Friday night. In order for me to remember what I did on any given evening, I simply have to recall what I ate, and then everything magically falls into place in my memory and I can trace the chain of events. Friday night Clay took me out for sushi. He took me out for sushi because I had a stressful work week. Since I had a stressful work week, I came home from that day to a bouquet of gorgeous summer flowers, a bottle of my favorite champagne, and a rental copy of Wanderlust with Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. That's when I put my arms around him and said that his gesture was so sweet, my heart would literally explode with love if he took me out to sushi, too.

    Yup, there's the paper trail to Friday night.

  • After a long, sweaty run on Saturday morning, Clayton and I headed over to his parents' house to dive into their backyard pool. This is the first time their pool has been open and swim-able since like, 2006 or something and we were excited! After a few cautionary weeks of murky water and questions of "Why is the pool so, so ... GREEN?", we were finally given the green light (no pun intended) and the pool was officially open for business. No sooner did Clay and I plop down our beach towels than my brother and sister-in-law arrived to splash around, too. We made an afternoon of laying out and paddling lazily in the cool water. We even tested the swimming agility of our respective pups and discovered that both of our dogs are, in fact, land animals.

Hot dog.

Summer paradise: Poolside with mindless chick lit.

  • After I came home from the pool, I showered and then polished off the rest of my champagne while I watched an episode of Too Cute!: Puppies on Animal Planet.

  • Saturday night we were supposed to visit the Taste of Bloomington festival with our friends (an annual food fest in which local eateries set up booths and sell residents their best dishes), but due to a fussy baby, our plans fell through and Clay and I were left to our own devices. My mother-in-law offered to take us to Sam's Club with her membership card and Clay and I spent the majority of our Saturday evening shopping for a gallon-sized judge of catchup.

    We're party animals, clearly.
  • We spent Sunday afternoon up north in Greenwood with my mom and sister, and while Clayton holed up at her kitchen table to study for an exam, us gals headed to the mall. I didn't have plans to do much more than window shop and help my sister pick out a cute swimsuit, but that all changed the moment I laid eyes on the most adorable piece of jewelry I've ever seen in my whole life.

    I've been shopping long and hard (okay, mostly on ebay) for an owl pendant that was understated and cute. Most of the trendy owl jewelry you find in stores is giant, gawdy, or both and I wanted something that didn't make it look like I was leaping onto the bandwagon full force. I generally like owls and fashion's whimsical take on them is just an added bonus. So my goal with the owl trend is to look as un-obnoxious as possible.

    Behold, my diamond-encrusted owl pendant! (and when I say "diamonds" I mean something not at all like diamonds. Like I could afford an actual diamond-encrusted anything ... )

  • Joey played outside with his cousins for hours while we shopped at the mall and decided that "Ode de Dead Baby Bird" is his fragrance of choice. Naturally, he was in dire need of a bath when we got home.

I didn't have my camera on me during bathtime and had to use my iPod.
I apologize for the horrid image quality.

 What I baked:
  • Fail. Huge fail. In addition to yet another sweltering weekend that made it way too hot to turn on the oven, I am super duper lazy and didn't get around to getting the dishes done. All of my baking sheets are stacked next to the sink, and I had zero counter space to work with. I must remedy this new-found lax attitude towards one of my favorite hobbies. Baking isn't a privilege in my house, it's a way of life. I must, Must, MUST get back to this STAT.
What I ran:
  • Saturday was a regular 7-mile run that actually had me questioning whether or not I have allergies. The air was so humid and dry, it tasted gritty. The grass along the trail looked like straw and one poorly-aimed cigarette butt could easily light the entire city on fire. It was gross and terrible. Thanks to the nice breeze along the way, I definitely think dryness trumped the heat. I wasn't quite as sweaty as I normally am, but my nose was certainly stuffy by the time I completed my run. I was just happy I kept my pace under a 9-minute mile.
  • Sunday evening was a recovery run that actually ended up being faster than Saturday's long run. Since I spent all day with my family, it was well past dark by the time I got home and I had to use our treadmill rather than go to the trail. My iPod was dead, so I plugged it into the wall outlet for a solid five minutes in hopes that it would charge enough to allow me at least one song to run to. As luck would have it, I was able to complete all 24 minutes of my run with Glee music. :) It was a good run. I wish all my recovery runs felt that easy.
How was your weekend?