A weedy weekend recap

What I did
  • Friday nights after working Indy are typically a bust, but luckily my sister-in-law’s joint birthday party pulled me out the house and kept me from falling asleep on the couch at 9 o’clock. Unfortunately, we couldn't spend too much time in their company because I was supposed to run a 10K the following morning and I needed to get as much rest as possible.
  • Around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, I was startled awake by the sound of a thunderstorm rolling through. I got out of bed anyway and prepared for the race, feeling less and less confident that I would actually get to run with each clap of thunder. Sure enough, right around 7:30 a.m., I got a text message from Mandy confirming the race was postponed due to the severe weather and was rescheduled for the following weekend. I crawled back into bed, feeling like a little storm cloud myself because I'm going to be in Los Angeles next weekend and won’t be able to participate in the race. Now I have the mess of dealing with trying to get a refund … and I’m out a race t-shirt.
  • Most of my Saturday afternoon was spent dealing with the hot mess that was my long run. For more information about that little adventure, jump down to the “What I Ran” section of this post.
  • Saturday evening was pretty lax and Clay and I fell asleep on the couch watching Shaun of the Dead. I was mad at myself for conking out so early because I totally love that movie, but it’s common knowledge that if you plop me in front of a movie after 11 p.m., I will fall asleep instantly.
  • Sunday afternoon Clay and I did something I never, ever thought I would look forward to in a million years—weeding. The couple that lived in our townhouse before us took it upon themselves to do some landscaping on the back patio and while I appreciate having cute little rock beds, weeds and other icky things were growing in them like wildfire. Even though it was a very small space, Clay and I tugged at weeds for over an hour and filled up two plastic bags full of plants (and flung many worms in the process)! It was a little backbreaking, but our patio looks amazing now! We even went to a home improvement store and bought some petunias and solar lights to make it pretty for summer cookouts. I was way too proud of myself for doing such an “adult” activity and almost didn’t recognize myself when I told Clayton we should probably invest in some weed killer. Between this and growing my own herbs, my mother would be so proud.

    Aren't my gardening gloves cute? Always fashionable ...
    A small section of the finished yard with my flowers and one of the solar lights!
    Somebody chased after another dog and lost his outside privileges.

  • Sunday evening we met with our friends, Dan and Emily, at a restaurant located on the very south side of town called The Scenic View because, well, it has a gorgeous view of Lake Monroe. (And I’m just kicking myself for not bringing my camera!) We sat on the patio and threw back cocktails while we caught up after not seeing each other for a few weeks. For an appetizer, we split an order of watermelon bruschetta that sounded absolutely disgusting in theory, but it tasted amazing! I was a good girl and ordered a refreshing spinach salad with cranberries and mandarin oranges for my meal, but I have a Runner Girl appetite and ordered a plate of sweet potato fries afterwards in an effort to feel even the slightest hint of satisfaction. (I am an eating machine right now. My tummy is insatiable.) After dinner, Dan and Emily were gracious enough to offer us use of their washer and dryer so we didn’t have spend money and sit around a shady laundromat all night. It was such a sweet gesture that Clay and I gushed the whole way home about how gracious they are, and we tried to repay their kindness by bringing a carton of ice cream over with our laundry. 
FYI: The following picture makes all the complaining I’m about to do seem completely ridiculous and insignificant.

If I just won the Boston Marathon, I'd probably sit down, too.

What I ran
  • As I mentioned above, the 10K race I was registered to participate in on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather. I was really counting on that race as a sneaky way to break up my scheduled 12 mile run into two 6-mile chunks (I was going to hit the trail after the race and finish my mileage out there), but after the race was cancelled I had to devise a new plan to run the entire distance in one, straight shot. Clay and I came up with a pretty exciting new route that was rather hilly and would give my thighs the workout they deserved, but less than 2 miles into my run, the heavens re-opened and we were slammed with another thunderstorm. The sky was an unsettling shade of blackish purple, thunder was rumbling so loudly I could hear it over my music, and I had to keep my eyes focused on my shoes because I was too afraid I'd look up and spot a funnel cloud. Wanting to seek shelter immediately, I deviated from my new route to a nearby opening on the familiar B-Line Trail with the hope that a heavily wooded area would keep some of the rain off of me.

    No such luck.

    I ran a total of 6 miles, sopping wet, before I made it to a trail entrance with a pavilion to huddle beneath. Breathing far too rapidly after only 6 miles and feeling overwhelmingly exhausted from running so far with heavy, drenched shoes, I fished my cell phone out of my running pack and called Clayton to come get me. He answered his phone flaming pissed, yelling at me because he had been driving around looking for me for over 45 minutes. He said he was worried sick something had happened (he didn’t have to say it, but the chances of me drowning in a puddle are far greater than either of us would care to admit) and I apologized profusely, legitimately remorseful that he was concerned about my safety. Shivering from head to toe and watching my labored breaths fade into curly tails of fog, I waited for him to pick me up.

    Once we got home and after I apologized yet again for making Clay worry, I got into the shower to warm up before I jumped on the treadmill to finish my run. However, after running outside for so long in water-logged shoes and trekking completely uphill for most of that time, my body was not in the mood to keep moving. I barely eked out another 4 more miles before I all but collapsed on the floor.

    Feeling incredibly defeated and majorly discouraged, I wandered downstairs to ice my ankles and cry to Clay about my dream of another mini marathon PR coming to a crashing halt. Why I overreacted, I don’t know, but I made up my mind that if I only managed to run 10 miles instead of my scheduled 12, I was a big, fat failure.

    So, embarrassing as it is to admit, I went back outside later that night and ran 2 more miles around our neighborhood so I could complete all 12 miles and put my brain at ease. Needless to say, those last 2 miles were painful and I stupidly forced myself through them even though the back of both of my ankles were bleeding from running around in wet socks that morning. I even ran several hills in the process, trying to prove to myself that I’m no quitter.

    Gosh, Courtney, stubborn much?
  • As you can imagine, Sunday’s 3-mile recovery run was incredibly tiresome. I usually keep my recovery runs inside on the treadmill at a 0% incline, but the weather was so sunny and pretty, I decided I should take advantage of the beautiful day. I ran around our neighborhood just as I had the night before, again making it a point to run up every hill I encountered. It was probably the slowest of the slow recovery runs, but I got it done.
  • I’m trying to get my head right because I am leaving for Los Angeles this Friday to work at the LA Times Festival of Books and it’s going to screw up my training schedule royally. My long run will have to be in the middle of the week instead of on Saturday, and I’m still trying to work out the logistics. All of the eagerness I’m feeling about my trip is being severely squelched by my anxiety about making sure I don’t jeopardize my training.

    I’m so excited about the upcoming mini marathon that I’m starting to get butterflies in my tummy every time I think about it. But as much as I’m looking forward to the race, I’m also looking forward to it being over so I can resemble a normal human being again with a normal appetite.

    So to answer your question: Yes, I’m positively delightful to be around right now.

What I baked/cooked
  • I completely failed at baking this weekend. I had every intention of making a batch of cookies on Saturday, but almost washing away in a thunderstorm kind of killed my “I want to bake delicious treats!” buzz.
  • I also had aspirations of making my own hummus because I finally bought a food processor this week, and I was almost stupid with giddiness about using it for the first time to make one of my favorite snacks. (Processessy is sitting on the counter next to Mixie. They’re already best friends, I can tell. And yes, Processessy is my food processor’s name.) Clay and I even wandered around the grocery store for a solid 20 minutes looking for inexpensive Tahini (sesame seed paste), but by the time we got home, my legs felt broken and lying on the couch sounded like a much better alternative.
  • When I got home from work late on Friday night, Clayton had not only prepared dinner for me, but he made RIBS. Remember my weekend recap from last week when I raved about Clay’s fried chicken? Take a look at the picture below. My man CAN COOK. (He also emailed me today at work about an issue I was too scared to deal with and his exact words to me were, “Nut up.” He cooks AND he's inappropriate. Be jealous, girls.)
His mashed potatoes were yummy, too!

  • Saturday night I made my first ever pork roast! (I made it in the crock pot rather than in an actual roasting pan, but I’m still counting it.) Remember the 50 pounds of carrots I bought last weekend for my Easter carrot cake? Well, I finally found a use for them! I chopped up a bunch of the carrots and several red potatoes to accompany the roast in the crock pot. After I had everything in the pot nicely arranged, I seasoned the meat with my secret spices (mysterious!) and 3 hours later we had tender, fall-off-the-bone perfection. It was delicious and Clay sang my praises by having seconds. :)
    This photo doesn't make my roast look too appetizing.
    It kind of looks like a giant meat wad, but it was delicious, I promise!

What did you guys do this weekend?


  1. Roasts in the crock pot are the best! That's the only way I make them! Good job!


Post a Comment