The end of March weekend recap

I was going to start this blog post by announcing that I'm pregnant and hopefully pulling off the best post-April Fools' Day prank ever, but I already barked up that tree once by jokingly mentioning it to my mother-in-law in an email and I almost gave her a mini-heart attack. If there's one thing I've learned about my family, it's that pregnancy jokes are not funny ... but thinly-veiled sexual jokes about "going to the barn" during games of euchre are.

But we did have a gorgeous weekend, and I have nothing but good things to report in this week's weekend recap.

For starters, Joey got plenty of outside time.

What I did:
  • Friday was an Indy workday, and a nasty thunderstorm that conveniently hit around 5 p.m. made the trip home almost 3 hours (which you know is ridiculous when you consider the trip is only about 70 miles). My friend and I were stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic during a heavy downpour, unable to see ten feet in front of us, and would occasionally jump in fright as a bolt of lighting hit right next to our vehicle. We calmed our nerves by listening to a comedy cd, but by the time we finally made it back home, we were ready for our pajamas and hoping our respective significant others had dinner waiting (mine did!).
  • I finally finished the first book in The Hunger Games series while laying in bed trying to recover from my 10 mile run on Saturday morning. I've had the book on my Kindle since Christmas, but I kept opting to watch Netflix instead of actually reading on my e-reader. However, once I started the book, I couldn't put it down. Katniss is my most favorite heroine in the history of literature (come on, she carries around a freakin' bow and arrow!), and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. Now I feel like I'm ready to watch, and appropriately judge, the movie. (And for the record, I'm Team Gale. Just sayin'. My opinion might change as I read the next books, but for now, I gotta roll with Gale over Peeta, the boy with the you get it? PITA BREAD.)
  • I don't want anyone to ever get the impression that Clay's and my marriage is picture perfect, but I am pretty embarrassed to admit that Clay and I got into a rather gruesome fight on Saturday afternoon. I won't go into details, but I will tell you that it was over a $6 butternut squash. But when we fight, it's never for very long. We tried to ignore each other for awhile, but that lasted all of five minutes because I saw something on TV I wanted to tell him about so I swallowed my pride, went upstairs and apologized about the squash.
  • Sunday afternoon the in-law's invited us over for a weenie roast and it was the first time Joey got to spend some quality time with his cousin, Jerry. The two pups hit it off and despite the fact that Mitch and myself had to wrestle a dead mouse out of Jerry's mouth, the day was a wild success! (Even after thoroughly washing with soap and hot water, Clay refused to let me touch him with my "dead mousey hands". So I made good on my threats of rubbing my hands all over his face while he slept that night.) Joey chased Jerry around the yard and, after getting much-needed baths, they both passed out in their homes a few hours later.

What I ran:
  • I've been getting annoyingly tired of my usual route on the trails near our house, so this Saturday I was itching for a new place to run. I had 10 miles scheduled and took the suggestion of my sister-in-law to run around a different part of town. Thanks to the GPS app on my iPod Touch, I now have the freedom to roam wherever I please, and I think I was a little too enthusiastic about exploring a new area on nothing but the strength of my legs. Not sure where to go, I ended up running pretty much everywhere, and I ran it all ... uphill. I chose a hilly route on purpose because it's good for developing my lung capacity, but I didn't mean for the entire thing to be a steady incline. By mile 5 my thighs were screaming at me to stop, but my ever-determined ego kept me going until the annoying lady in my GPS said I had finally reached my goal. I was pleased to find that despite running a rough terrain and totally face-planting at a busy intersection (I am graceful, yes), I actually kept my speed below my half marathon goal pace. So I completed 10 miles feeling even more exhausted than I have ever been after a long run, but I finished it feeling proud and optimistic, too. I still can't believe I managed to average an 8:30 min/mile pace, but I did it!
  • Needless to say, my recovery run on Sunday was ... painful. Thanks to the all of the hills the day before, my thighs were stiff and my butt was mad at me. I took my 3-mile recovery slowly and carefully on my treadmill, not daring to step foot on an elevation higher than 0%.

What I baked/cooked: 
  • Saturday night I made hamburgers (and yes, you can tell by the photo that I cheated and had cheese, but in my defense, I can't stand the taste of home-cooked burgers unless they're on the grill, and last spring's tornado took our grill so ... there's that.), and I made them specifically so I could test a new sweet potato fries recipe I found on one of my favorite foodie blogs, CarrotsNCake. Clay's only tasted sweet potatoes for the first time recently, so I knew it would be a bit of a stretch to get him interested in this healthier french fries alternative, but he really liked them! We washed down our dinner with a few beers from a 6-pack we put together at the grocery store earlier that day. I opted for the seasonal Sam Adam's Alpine Spring since I lean more towards lighter lagers, and it was yummy! It was the perfect hint of citrus without feeling like I was drinking a "girly" beer. 

  • This is embarrassing: When I found out we were recruited to bring dessert to Sunday's weenie roast, Clay had the brilliant idea for me to make a chocolate mousse pie. Not one to pass up anything chocolatey or made with Cool Whip, I accepted his challenge and got to work making a homemade chocolate cookie crust. Well, I'm still not used to the quirks of baking with a gas stove, so the cookie crust turned into cookie mush and the whole thing was completely un-presentable. With only an hour until we had to be over at my in-law's, I ran back to the grocery store and ended up throwing together a cheesecake pudding pie instead. The pie ended up okay (even though I clearly can't read directions and put in far more milk than necessary), but I was really disappointed that I wasted time and money on my chocolate mousse pie. "You know," Clay said, standing next to the refrigerator while I prepared to wash the failed chocolate cookie crust down the drain, "You could just add that cookie crust to the chocolate mousse and make like, a pudding soup ... for us." See, this is exactly why I married Clayton, he's an idea man. My eyes lit up with an intensity that can only be brought on by sugar and we did our  "We Get Dessert Just For Us" dance. (Yes, we have a dessert dance. You didn't think we married for love, did you?) 
 So, chocolate mousse cookie soup? As you can see, a huge success:

What did you do this weekend?


  1. Bah I'm in your blog today! (I'm always pleasantly happy when that happens.)

  2. Replies
    1. Like I said, my opinion might change as I make my way throug the rest of the books. But for now, I totally have a soft spot for the guy that she grew up with. ;)

  3. I understand. Well let me know if you end up changing your mind as you keep reading!


Post a Comment