Goodbye summer, hello fall! (Weekend recap)
Take a big whiff. You smell that? Burning leaves, pumpkin pie, and apple cider is just around the corner!
And how did I spend the unofficial final weekend of summer 2011?
Why, sweating my butt off, of course!
- Since I had to work all day Friday, I promised myself as slave labor at Grandma's garage sale for the entirety of Saturday. Business was painfully slow and we spent most of the hot, miserable day cooped up in an un-airconditioned garage playing rummy. For a brief moment, Clay, my brother-in-law and I snuck away to visit the animal shelter next door and fell in love with no less than a dozen doggies who are in desperate need of a loving home.
- I made one of my dreams come true and I walked away from Grandma's garage sale with a small food processor. I immediately went to the store, bought some avocados, and made homemade guacamole for the first time ever. I used to hate guacamole, but I was served it by mistake during my honeymoon in Mexico. Being too polite to tell the waiter he got my order wrong, I attempted to eat the guacamole anyway and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was the most delicious thing I'd ever tasted. Why it took my almost 3 years to make it myself, I'll never know. I guess I'll just blame it on the fact that I didn't own a food processor until about 48 hours ago. I made it at about 10 p.m. last night and made Clayton try it ... while he was in the shower.
- Clay and I drove my mother to the airport so she could fly down to Tampa, Florida, board a giant ship, and spend the next week cruising around the South American seas. I asked my mom when was the last time she went to the ocean and she told me it was when we took a family vacation to West Virginia. Bewildered, I reminded her that I was only 5 on that vacation ... so the last time my mom was by the ocean was over 20 years ago. "I know," she said sadly. So I gave her a hug and told her to soak up all the sea air she could fit into her lungs. She agreed to do that and then proceeded to tell my husband and her friend about how I almost drowned during that vacation to West Virginia because inner tubes don't come with seat belts and I clearly do not know how to swim.
- We had a Labor Day cookout with our best friends and baby Nicholas. Nicholas still cries every time I pick him up.
- I ran 8 miles when there was a heat advisory. I guzzled all of the water in my running pack and had intestinal distress like the dickens afterwards. But was it worth it? Totally. Two months until the Monumental Half Marathon!
- I got stung by a bee ... again. Right by my armpit. The wound area turned bright red and was hot to the touch for two whole days. I tore the skin open because I am apparently scratching at it in my sleep. My sting tally for the summer is now resting at 3. I'm going to start wearing a suit of armor when I go outside.
I can't wait for the leaves to start changing color. Southern Indiana is a fantastic place to live if autumn is your favorite season. :)