Can't keep a good man down

Sorry, I've been Internet M.I.A since Tuesday.  I know you've been waiting on pins and needles for an update on my life.  Well, the truth of the matter is that I've been doing nothing.


I finally suffered through my horrendous head cold which is now thankfully down to a dull, stuffy roar.  My nose has been chronically congested since last Sunday afternoon, but I've since become rather accustomed to being a mouth breather and it no longer bothers me.

And I say I've been doing nothing simply because I've been cooped up in the house for the past week.  But really, some pretty big things have gone on in our household that have resulted in Clay and I having to live like hermits for the time being.  Without going into any personal details, Clay had surgery on Thursday and has been having a rather uncomfortable, rather painful recovery at home.

I was actually kind of blindsided by the news when he walked through the front door two weeks ago and said, "Hey, what are you doing next Thursday at noon?"

Well, that's a stupid question.  "Nothing," I replied, not looking up from my work on the computer.

"Awesome. I'm having surgery that day and the doctor said I need a responsible adult to drive me home afterwards.  But I figured I'd ask you anyway."

Har har.

For the next week we prepared for Clay's surgery.  We joked about it and played it off like it was no big deal, but that was more or less our feeble attempt to mask the anxiety we were both feeling about the procedure.  The surgery was somewhat invasive and would hopefully give us some answers to the pain Clay had been experiencing for months.  It was possible that the doctor would find something as insignificant as scar tissue or something as serious as a tumor.

And we all know I handle things like this soooooooooooooooooooooo well.

Clay had never been put under anaesthesia before and I mistakenly kept saying he was going to be "put down" instead of "put under" which didn't really make him feel any better. He didn't know what to expect and it only fueled his anxiousness to get the whole thing over and done with.

On the big day I was granted permission to stay with him while he was prepped for surgery.  They called me back once he was ready to rock n' roll, and I sat next to him while he waited to be put down put under. The surgery wasn't dangerous by any means, but the not knowing what was wrong with him paired with the sight of him lying on a gurney with tubes coming out of his body shook me up.  I knew he was going to come out of the surgery okay and that we would somehow survive whatever prognosis the doctor gave him, but I was shook up from the reality that this probably wouldn't be the last time I'd see him like this.  We don't know what the future holds, and there's always the possibility that I will be sitting by Clayton's bedside like this again for something even worse ... or visa versa.  That's life.  Nothing can prepare you for that.  As cheesy and melodramatic as it is, the whole ordeal made me fall even more madly in love with him. While stewing over those sobering thoughts and clutching Clay's hand, I felt my blood pressure start to rise and my right eye start to twitch.

Then the anaesthesiologist came into the room, slapped the side of Clay's leg, and said, "So, you're here for a circumcision today, right?"

"NO!" I shrieked, almost jumping to my feet. "No! That's not right!"

"It was a joke, babe," Clay reassured me, rolling his eyes.  Then he said to the anaesthesiologist, "She's the last person you'd want around in a medical emergency."

Someone should have just put ME down.

After I was kicked out of the room, I sat in the lobby nervously chewing my nails and twirling my wedding rings.  In less than 15 minutes that doctor came out to talk to me.

Everything was perfectly fine.

It was scar tissue, just as the doctor had originally thought.  It had been lasered away and was expected not to come back.  Clay's recovery would suck, but he would be just fine when it was all said and done.

My body shook the rest of the afternoon in relief.

On that Thursday I hung up my Worrying Wife hat and have now taken on the role of Nurse Courtney. Clay's is up and walking around more and more every day, and he's even expected to try and go to work tomorrow.  He's a trooper and never complains.  He's been living off a steady diet of fruit and jello pudding cups.  We've watched 1,000 movies (Paper Man, you should see it) and I've even been able to snuggle up next to him on his arm chair for a bit, just to feel the closeness.

Everything is perfectly fine. :)